Sailor Moon S/Sailor Neptune
Neptune is often miscategorized as the shoto of the game due to her having a fireball and a DP. After playing enough Sailor Moon however, you come to realize you can not play a shoto playstyle with her due to the game’s guard cancel mechanics and Neptune’s questionable fireball, undoubtedly her biggest weakness in a game where everyone has at least a decent fireball. Instead, Neptune thrives off of cornering opponents and mixing them up, as well as having a frame 3 invincible dragon punch with a hitbox the size of old Ken’s entire body. It can get any character off of you if they are too close. Good normals, a standing overhead, and the 3rd fastest walk speed in the game round off the character. Solid fighting game fundamentals will get you far with Neptune at first, and a good understanding of matchups will allow you continue even further. If you like outplaying your opponent and not spamming fireballs, then start practicing your dragon punch inputs.
|• Ridiculous DP: Her Splash Edge move is by far the best reversal in the game, being frame 3/4 and invincible from the first. It's an option the opponent always has to respect
• Amazing mix ups and pressure: With her long-ranged normals, standing overhead, and great tick throw set ups, Neptune can make it really hard to escape her pressure and corner once she gets her game going
• Great damage: Neptune possesses some very damaging combos that can melt the opponent's lifebar away
|• Bad fireball: Not only does Deep Submerge have a lot of recovery and an awkward angle, but it also elongates her head hurtbox a lot, making her extremely susceptible at being headshot
• Troubles approaching: Despite her good walk speed, Neptune can have a very hard time against zoners, being herself a failed zoner
Speed Forward: 2.064/1F
Speed Backwards: 1.192/1F
Jump Speed: 2.063/1F
Jumping Distance: 99
Defend Bonus: Reduce the enemy's first attack or chip damage by 33%~42% (excludes throws)
|Crouch Block "Bug"|
|Standing Light Punch|
|Standing Heavy Punch|
|Standing Light Kick|
|Standing Light Kick (Close)|
|Standing Heavy Kick|
|Standing Heavy Kick (Close)|
|Crouching Light Punch|
|Crouching Heavy Punch|
|Crouching Light Kick|
|Crouching Heavy Kick|
|Jumping Light Punch (Vertical)|
|Jumping Light Punch (Moving)|
|Jumping Heavy Punch (Vertical)|
|Jumping Heavy Punch (Moving)|
|Jumping Light Kick (Vertical)|
|Jumping Light Kick (Moving)|
|Jumping Heavy Kick (Vertical)|
|Jumping Heavy Kick (Moving)|
|Splash Edge (LP)|
|Splash Edge (HP)|
|Deep Submerge (LP)|
|Deep Submerge (HP)|
You should be looking to approach opponents as much as possible when playing Neptune, as her fireball is not good enough to play a zoning game. Backdashing and throwing fireballs is one of the worst strategies you can do as Netpune.
A good easy combo to look for is 2LK 2LK into HP DP, as it does a lot of damage and causes knockdown, which is your end goal as Neptune. You can even get this combo off a jump in. If it looks like you are too far away to combo into HP DP, use LP DP instead, or sweep to be extra sure. This does less damage however.
Learn the range of your normals, as they are good pokes which can lead to knockdown in the corner. A sweep canceled into fireball on block can be surprisingly safe.
Once in the corner you can use close HK overhead and the invul of DP to mix up your opponent for big damage. Overhead can combo into DP or fireball.
A good more advance strategy to try as Neptune is to bait guard cancels with fast recovery normals, and then to punish with a guard cancel DP since it’s fast enough to hit most special move’s recovery frames.
Neptune generally wants P2 port as it gives her a combo after a teched throw and makes her wake up even better (while also denying her opponents a better wake up game).
In short, be good at the video game and hit them with the mix.
• Vs. Sailor Moon
- Neptune can duck some hearts and sweep the ones she can’t dunk under
- Moon’s only good poke in the matchup is 2HK, couch blocking around it is the only thing Neptune has to worry about on the ground
- Moon fireball in neutral requires good GC fireballs and jumps to play around, but it’s not the hardest. Moon in corner has forward dash to escape but is stuffed by close HK. Respect flash kick on wake up and as a anti air
• Vs. Sailor Mercury
- Neptune’s hardest matchup due to how good bubbles are
- You want Mercury to throw a tornado as you can whiff punish it with a sweep.
- Mercury DP can beat Neptune’s DP on wakeup
- General reminder that if bubbles are on the screen, Mercury cannot throw tornado, and thus has no way to easily anti air Neptune
• Vs. Sailor Mars
- Mars will win the GC fireball wall after 1 rep due to snake traveling low to the ground. Be extremely careful when doing gc fireball
- Neptune jumping LK can beat Mar’s HP anti air.
- Mar’s wakeup options suck, space around grab and backdash grab and she has issues getting out of the corner.
- Neptune backdash is 25 frames, you should always backdash Mar’s desperation to take no chip
• Vs. Sailor Venus
- Neptune actually outranges Venus with her sweep. You can whiff punish 2HP with sweep by abusing crouch block. This makes neutral very hard for Venus
- Jumping at venus is rough due to upball and DP, since Neptune wins on the ground abuse that more than jumping in this matchup
- If you get cornered in venus jail, crouch block will dodge a lot of upballs and GC DP will solve most of your issues. Neptune is very hard to jail.
• Vs. Sailor Jupiter
- Neptune sweep will duck thunder dragon
- crouch block is your friend as it makes jupiter graph paper way harder
- jumping at jupiter should only be done if she is throwing thunder dragon, otherwise her anti airs are too good
- remember Neptune is pretty fast on the ground so try and walk under coconuts
- if you are outside jupiter spd range there is very little she can do to get out of the corner
- Even as P1 Neptune can sometimes wake up doubleback Jupiter coconut. So never give up!
• Vs. Sailor Chibi Moon
- Neptune’s best matchup
- Chibi cannot stop smartly placed jumping LK. She has to stay grounded, which she hates
- throwing fireballs in this matchup actively helps chibi 95% of the time since that means you aren’t controlling the skies
- Neptune DP means that you should never have take chibi mix
- Neptune has no easy answer to Chibi desperation. Requires you to backdash the last hits and then walk forward/jump at chibi. This is the only hard thing about the matchup. Remember if you have a huge life lead you can just wait it out
• Vs. Sailor Uranus
- Get that ass Banned
• Vs. Sailor Neptune
- An actual shoto mirror. Being good at the video game helps a lot
- When jumping in on Neptune fireball with a HK a lot of times you can’t combo into anything due to being minus on hit, so just take the headshot damage and block or backdash afterwards
• Vs. Sailor Pluto
- Often fireballs will trade if you keep the fireball war going and the trade is immensely in Pluto's favor, she takes 12 damage while Neptune takes 20
- Pluto jumping LP beats Neptune jumping LK
- Neptune really just wants a knockdown to start pressuring Pluto as Pluto can’t deal with Neptune pressure easily, poke with sweep or DP to accomplish this. As well as waiting for Pluto to jump.
- RESPECT PLUTO DESPERATION. It will blow you up if you think canceling a blocked sweep into a fireball is a good idea on a low health Pluto. Backing off and waiting for her to do something is usually better. You can punish a blocked desperation with GC DP.
A lot of this information is out of date, so please tread with caution and cross-verify information. Roughly ordered by level of practicality/difficulty from most practical/least difficult to least practical/most difficult to perform in a match.
- Neptune overview advent video
- Basic Neptune primer by DaiAndOh
- Neptune section of Koushun's Mix-up Movie
- Neptune section of Koushun's Combo Movie 1
- 50% combo options by 0-RANGE
- Neptune section of Koushun's Combo Movie 2
- Progression of Neptune's theoretical 100% combo by Koushun
|Sailor Moon S|
|Sailor Chibi Moon||Sailor Jupiter||Sailor Mars|
|Sailor Mercury||Sailor Moon||Sailor Neptune|
|Sailor Pluto||Sailor Uranus||Sailor Venus|
|List of Fighting Games|
|Back to Mainpage|