Sailor Moon S/Sailor Moon
Moon has strong mixups and setplay options with Heart and forward hop. Moon also has very solid projectile game in neutral -- with Tiara coming out and recovering very fast -- as well as back dash Heart allowing her to bait and punish jump ins like you would with a DP. She also has two very good throws.
|• Zoning: Tiara and Heart are both great projectiles with different uses that compliment Moon's other tools well and give her strong full screen game
• Forward hop: Her unique dash jump gives her a way to escape corner pressure and, paired with Heart, opens up unique mix ups and setplays to her
• All-rounded protagonist: Having two projectile, good mobility, very nice normals, great throws and a Flash Kick, Moon is a character with tools for every occasion
|• Technical to a fault: Not only she's most likely the hardest character to master in the game, but not being careful with your inputs might cause you to get a forward hop when you most likely don't want it
• Dead zones: While her projectiles are great, some characters have an easy time dodging them, making Moon helpless when that happens
Speed Forward: 1.224/1F
Speed Backwards: 1.096/1F
Jump Speed: 2.000/1F
Jumping Distance: 82
|Standing Light Punch|
|Standing Light Punch (Close)|
|Standing Heavy Punch|
|Standing Heavy Punch (Close)|
|Standing Light Kick|
|Standing Heavy Kick|
|Crouching Light Punch|
|Crouching Heavy Punch|
|Crouching Light Kick|
|Crouching Heavy Kick|
|Jumping Light Punch (Vertical)|
|Jumping Light Punch (Moving)|
|Jumping Heavy Punch (Vertical)|
|Jumping Heavy Punch (Moving)|
|Jumping Light Kick (Vertical)|
|Jumping Light Kick (Moving)|
|Jumping Heavy Kick (Vertical)|
|Jumping Heavy Kick (Moving)|
|Moon Spiral Heart Attack (LP)|
|Moon Spiral Heart Attack (HP)|
|Sonic Cry (LP)|
|Sonic Cry (HP)|
|Moon Tiara Action (LP)|
|Moon Tiara Action (HP)|
|Silver Crystal Operation|
Moon's neutral tools are amazing. Tiara is one of the best projectiles in the game. Heart is amazing if you can consistently backdash into it, being not only a set play tool but also a way to bait and punish aggressive players. Her light kick can anti air, her sweep goes under a few projectiles (Shabon Spray, Moon Tiara Action, and Pink Sugar Heart Attack) and is disjointed. On hit you can backdash heart (or even tiara) out of sweep for additional pressure and mixups. It's all really solid.
Moon also has some okizeme setups (aka vortex/setplay). After knocking an opponent down, backdash and throw a heart out. Then time a forward dash to create an ambiguous crossup. You'll be able to combo after the heart hits to another sweep and repeat the loop. This is mostly fake however, and every character has ways to completely bypass the left/right mix with either a wake up special or a backdash option select. You can go for it as a knowledge check or to surprise someone to keep them on their toes.
Moon’s forward dash (which looks more like a command jump) can also get her out certain situations in neutral or when done as a guard cancel. Strong neutral tools and vortex potential make her a great choice. Anti-airing when cornered can be difficult as you need 45 frames to charge Sonic Cry and don't have enough room to backdash heart. Choosing 1P port can help with this, as it gives Moon access to Backdash Throw with invul. However, choosing 2P port gives you access to other options including follow ups to 1P teching your HK throw and more wake up options. 2P Moon is able to do the following on wakeup: Backdash Special, Backdash Backdash, Backdash Block, Backdash Forward dash, Backdash Throw, Wakeup Throw.
• Vs. Sailor Moon
- Reads and fireballs the MU. Tiara is really good and a lot of Moon mirrors have dead time of just throwing Tiaras. Jump ins punished tiara reads, but backdash heart and sonic cry can punish jump in reads.
- Moon crouches under all hearts with one rare exception against a neutral crouching Moon. Ideally just use Heart as an anti air or a way to retreat while zoning.
- Moon can also low profile under tiaras with sweep.
• Vs. Sailor Mercury
- Being cornered in this MU is terrible as Mercury's Aqua Mirage can make your life hell. Either guard canceling into forward dash or a well timed sweep can get you out.
- Moon sweep goes under bubbles, but it's not as useful as it sounds. Mercury is very fast and doing this at the wrong ranges can lead into a free jump in from Mercury.
- Mercury crouches under all hearts with one rare exception against neutral crouching Mercury. Ideally just use Heart as an anti air or a way to retreat while zoning.
- Be mindful of Mercury cross up after HP throw when cornered. If you're P1 in this MU and tech the throw, backdash away from her throw loop attempt.
• Vs. Sailor Mars
- Mars wins in the mid-range fireball war, Moon wins in the long-range fireball war.
- Another strategy is to just react to the snakes with neutral jump, react to birds by ducking and throwing tiara, and react to jump ins with backdash heart.
- Be mindful of Mars cross up with HK throw when cornered. If you're P1 just don't tech Mars HK throw as that will lead into eating big damage from Mars due to 1f vulnerability on landing.
• Vs. Sailor Venus
- Venus crouches underneath all hearts and can low profile tiaras with her crouching LP or crouching HP.
- Venus can struggle at full screen, but can easily blow you up when up close. Make it very difficult for her to get in and then get away.
- Playing Keep Away in this MU can really frustrate Venus and make it hard for her to get anything done.
- Dont let yourself get cornered -- especially if Venus has access to desperation. Learn where they want to use Upball in their strings and forward dash out then.
• Vs. Sailor Jupiter
- Jupiter Lariat is invul thru projectiles and catches moon out out of her forward dash. Don't do it.
- Upon seeing Jupiter throw coconut, it's easy to react and forward dash to her giving Moon enough time to punish her before she lands.
- Jupiter Lariat is the hardest thing to deal with as it shuts down a lot of Moon's projectile options; however if you can bait a bad lariat that's a free sweep.
- Heavy Sonic Cry against any telegraphed jump ins.
- Being 1P Moon here is suffering; Teching Jupiter's normal throw leads into big damage combos
• Vs. Sailor Chibi Moon
- Chibi can crouch under heart and tiara, this effectively makes using your good zoning tools a lot harder. Going for heart cross ups against Chibi usually results in eating a slide when you land.
- However, Moon's normals are much longer than Chibi's and a lot of them will do head damage due to Chibi's height. Play good footsies with your normals instead of your specials in this MU.
• Vs. Sailor Uranus
- Always try to read what Uranus will do before hand and react according. If you knock her down, she may try to wakeup forward dash with invul.
- Sweep is good at dealing with her slide, but knocking her down gives Uranus access to her wakeup options--which can spell disaster. Be ready.
- Tiara as a poking tool at neutral is very good.
- Heart is very situational as Uranus can slide underneath it
- Sonic Cry's invul on start up can be useful for punishing wakeup forward dash attempts or even fireball into dash in neutral.
- Always be ready for Uranus wake up options.
- Just dont get hit 4head
• Vs. Sailor Neptune
- Backdash Heart is really useful here as it stops all jumping attacks and also baited DPs.
- Moon's tiara is better than Neptune's fireball, if the Neptune realizes this and tries to jump in that's a free backdash heart. Watch and react to their movements.
• Vs. Sailor Pluto
- GC Sonic Cry can be used to punish desperation attempts
- Backdash Heart stops jumpy Plutos
- Tiara should win a normal fireball war, react to jump ins with backdash heart
A lot of this information is out of date, so please tread with caution and cross-verify information. Roughly ordered by level of practicality/difficulty from most practical/least difficult to least practical/most difficult to perform in a match.
- Moon overview advent video
- Basic Moon primer by DaiAndOh
- Moon section of Koushun's Mix-up Movie
- An example of Moon's potential with Heart and forward hop
- Moon section of Koushun's Combo Movie 1
- Moon section of Koushun's Combo Movie 2
- Mercury desperation punish by Big Zam
|Sailor Moon S|
|Sailor Chibi Moon||Sailor Jupiter||Sailor Mars|
|Sailor Mercury||Sailor Moon||Sailor Neptune|
|Sailor Pluto||Sailor Uranus||Sailor Venus|
|List of Fighting Games|
|Back to Mainpage|